Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Day 4 Ribblehead to Sedbergh

16 miles today, our longest day yet. The cloud was still down as we had our breakfast. Nicely cooked but basic is how I would describe it. Margaret and I were first out and soon up the road to the place where we had left the trail yesterday. The cloud was beginning to lift and the drizzle soon stopped as we made our way up and along the moor towards Dentdale.
As we reached the road the impressive Dent Viaduct came into sight

And a little packhorse bridge under the viaduct.
 We had a quick drink stop there but once again those pesky insects were following us so we didn't stop long.
Next stop Artengill Viaduct showed up really well against the hillside. 

If only there was a steam train it would have been perfect. 'Let's just wait a minute' said Margaret and would you believe what happened next!
Be careful what you wish for!

From Lea Yeat the path goes right along the river bank and is very slippy, cobbles and tree roots etc. Fortunately that doesn't last for too long and you are soon higher up with good views.
Somethings you might not expect to see on the path.


A mobile hen hut

It was very wet underfoot in Dentdale and impossible to keep the feet dry but the thought of the tea room in Dent kept us going. Unfortunately when we got there it was full and loads of people were waiting to be served so we scrapped the idea of tea and scones and went to the pub for a drink instead. The only other people in there were the couple from Pateley Bridge..... small world! Once again timing was everything as there was a very heavy, thundery shower while we were in there. As you can see there was a lot of water on the ground when we came out. This is a road not a river!
We still had a few miles to go but fortunately the weather cleared for us. How lucky was that. I think we both thought that this was the most tiring day of the walk and it was with some relief that the outskirts of Sedbergh came into view.

We hadn't been in Wheelwright Cottage more than ten minutes when down came the rain again but we didn't care. That cup of tea was very welcome before going to the Red Lion for a meal and meeting up with the couple from Pateley Bridge and watching Andy Murray win his quarter final match. A very pleasant evening was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment